“Restoring The Spirit” is the theme the All Nations Suicide Prevention Coalition (ANSPC) is using to bring suicide awareness to the Native communities. The ANSPC is comprised of community organizations within Rapid City that formed 3 years ago.
The ANSPC addresses suicide within the urban Native American youth and young adult population through the foundation of cultures by reducing factors known to contribute to suicide and strengthen factors known to protect them against suicide. To increase awareness, prevent and reduce the incidence of suicide by urban American Indian youth and young adults with the collaboration of imperative partners within the Rapid City and neighboring communities.
The All Nations Suicide Prevention Coalition is crucial to the Native American communities because suicide is high among the Native population. The need is urgent, and the reasons are clear. More than 38 percent of our American Indian/Alaskan Natives (AI/AN) youth and young adults are under the age 19. Another 23 percent are between the ages of 20 and 34. In total, our American Indian/Alaskan Native youth and young adults make up 61 percent of all Native populations.
The ANSPC have been working on 4 digital stories that are still in development phase and will be shared on the next Newsletter.
Become a part of the ANSPC and help bring awareness and prevention to the Native community.
Organizations that comprise the ANSPC
- Rural America Initiatives
- Catholic Social Services
- South Dakota Army National Guard
- RC Community Conversations/Regional Health
- Douglas Mental Health Services; Consultant
- Rapid City Police Department
- Lakota Circles of Hope- QPR Rep
- Pine Ridge Suicide Prevention
- VA Black Hills -Suicide Prevention Outreach and Edu Specialist
- RCAS Title VI Indian Education Social Worker
- University of South Dakota
- Ateyapi Wicozani Coordinator
- Rapid City Area School
- RCAS Title VI Indian Education
- RCAS PREVENTION SPECIALIST
- Front Porch Coalition
Know someone who needs help or you need help. Please use the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You are not alone and someone is available to help at anytime.